A slow night on the game front, so I'll take advantage of the down time to provide a few updates.
War Room Expansion
First off, we're making final preparations for our expanded War Room section. In addition to the generic tips and strategies offered there now, we'll be featuring some very league and site-specific content to help you in your specific league. We'll be starting with the most popular sites - Yahoo and CBS. We'll also be centering a lot of attention on daily and weekly play sites, starting with Fanduel.
Landshark Fan League
We're now a full month into the season, and things haven't quite gone to plan for me in our Landshark Hockey "Fan"tasy league. Apparently, readers of this site know a thing or two about this game. Through 4 weeks, we have five teams sitting strong at 3-1 (BigTank, FoolsGold, Brak, Midnight Train Wreck, and MightyMullets), while my lowly Landsharks struggle at 1-3. Apparently, my 1-2 punch of Devils (Brodeur/Kovalchuk) isn't nearly as potent as I'd hoped it would be. Last place belongs to the Sky King who has yet to win a contest. His downfall was a 3rd round selection of M.A. Fleury.
In terms of steals so far, Midnight Train Wreck seems to have made the most of his late-round picks, walking away with Tim Thomas and Brent Burns with some late round picks. A few other late-round steals of note:
- Intent To Injure - Michal Neuvirth (round 12)
- Sky Kings - John-Michael Liles (round 15)
- C21 Guns - Chris Stewart (round 11)
As for busts, aside from the previously mentioned Devil picks and the goalie collapse in Pittsburgh, here are a few that sting:
- Midnight Train Wreck - Tuukka Rask (round 3) and Semyon Varlamov (round 5) - way too early to call these busts, but it's certainly been a disappointing situation. Yet he's 3-1. How does that happen?
- Sky Kings - Simon Gagne (round 6)
- Stanks18 - Pavel Kubina (round 5)
We'll follow up in late December, when the picture gets a little clearer on how this will play out…