NOTE: Updated starters for tonight: Johnson for Pittsburgh. Holtby for Washington. This messes up my rosters big time... See my updates at the end.
Big night tonight, if you're into free chances to win money playing fantasy hockey. More on that below...
#1 - Marian Gaborik (F-NYR) - Gaborik broke his goal-scoring slump in style, scoring 4 goals and adding an assist. It was his third hat trick this season.
#2 - Niklas Backstrom (G-MIN) - Backstrom made a fantastic return from injury, stopping 37 shots to shutout Calgary
#3 - Henrik Lundqvist (G-NYR) - Lundqvist also pitched a shutout, stopping 22 shots against Toronto
#4 - Artem Anisimov (F-NYR) - Anisimov had 4 assists for the Rangers
- Evgeni Malkin (PIT) will miss tonight with a lower body injury
- Kyle Okposo (NYI) will make his season debut tonight
- Michael Cammalleri (MON) has a separated shoulder and will be out at least 2 weeks
- Chris Pronger (PHI) is expected to return tonight
- Martin Havlat (MIN) had 2 goals and an assist for Minnesota
- Sean Avery (NYR) and Kyle Brodziak (MIN) had 3 assists each
- Mikka Kiprusoff (CGY) was pounded for 6 goals on 24 shots
- Jonas Gustavsson (TOR) was pulled after allowing 6 goals on 25 shots. Giguere stopped 2 of 3 in relief.
- Jimmy Howard (DET) is expected to return tonight for Detroit
- Mike Santorelli (FLA) kept his point streak alive at 7. He has one or more points in 11 of 12 games.
Recommended Starters for Daily Fantasy Hockey Tonight:
Now about those free games…
Draftstreet is kicking off their first week of NHL action with a free contest, featuring $400 in prize money.
To register for the freeroll, select the “private leagues” option at the top of the lobby and click on the “NHL” Freeroll. When prompted for a password, enter DSNHL. Also remember to use referral code "LANDSHARK" when registering. That will grant you a 30% bonus on your first deposit. (no deposit needed for the free game).
Fanduel is also offering a free game, available on their home page, with $100 in prizes. Could be a profitable day for you, so pay attention.
As for your starting goalies, there are plenty of tempting options on the table with a full slate of games being played tonight. Here are a handful to note:
- PIT vs NJ: There is a 90 goal differential between these teams. Pittsburgh is +40, while NJ is -50. It doesn't get more lopsided than that.
Fleury hasn't officially been named the starter yet, but will be the likely starter. Johnson has been named the starter, making him an attractive option on Fanduel. Johnson is actually more expensive than Fleury on FSL.
- ANA vs TOR: The Ducks are 8-2 in their last 10, while the Leafs are struggling, and hurting badly after last night's spankin'. Hiller will likely get the start for Anaheim (not confirmed).
- WAS vs NYI: While both teams are playing mediocre hockey right now, the Caps have a huge edge over the Islanders (23 points in the standings).
With Neuvirth hurt, Varlamov will be your starter here. Holtby has been named the surprise starter. Not sure I trust him enough, even against the Isles.
- PHI vs OTT: Another lopsided matchup. The Flyers sit 1st in the East, with the Sens are 13th. Ottawa has won just 1 game in their last 10. Bobrovsky is your likely starter, and comes relatively cheap on Fanduel.
- DAL vs EDM: The Stars have won 7 of 10. Edmonton has lost 7 of 10. Expect Lehtonen back in the cage.
Check back later today, and I'll confirm starters. For now, here is who I'm penciling into my roster:
- Fanduel -
Fleury ($8,200) or Bobrovsky ($5,500). Add Johnson to the mix ($6,200)
- Draftstreet -
Varlamov ($17.3k) - cheapest of the 5 above. Holtby and Johnson aren't available yet on Draftstreet. Going to option C: Bobrovsky ($19.6k)